Thursday, January 28, 2016

365 Days of Writing Prompts #28

A place from your past or childhood, one that you're fond of, is destroyed. Write it a memorial.

So I'm only less than a month into these prompts, and already they're annoying me more often than they should. I can't even think of a place!

10 hours later...

And here I am, another day that it's the end of the day and I'm just now getting to this. This is a struggle, which clearly means I should keep doing it. I was thinking maybe just fuck it all, and freewrite instead, but I wonder if that will start being a struggle for me too. And I wonder why I'm so resistant to some of these prompts.

The first things I thought of were my grandparents' homes as places I was fond of from my childhood. But my Grandmom Texas's (yes, that's what I called her, Grandmom Texas) house in Dallas was already torn down, when I lived in Dallas, in fact. And my Grandmom Rosie and Pop's building in Chestnut Hill still seems to be standing, though it also seems to have been completely redone...which is obviously a good thing, since the last time they lived there was more than 25 years ago.

I'm not sure about writing a memorial to these places, but the thoughts of them make me nostalgic for my childhood, when everything was so much simpler. I may have still had depression and anxiety, because I forever and always have depression and anxiety, but everything seems so much simpler then as I look back. Is it because I was a child that it seemed simpler, or were the times before the technological revolution really just that much simpler?

I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment