Friday, January 29, 2016

365 Days of Writing Prompts #29

Go to the nearest window. Look out for a full minute. Write about what you saw.

I have just one window in my cute little studio, it's a huge window, my whole wall to the outside is basically a big tall window + sliding glass door.

The first thing I see is my balcony. I love my balcony, I love outdoor living space. It's not a typical balcony with a wrought iron fence like you normally see. Instead, it's a big brick wall with a really cool big archway. It's one of the things I love most about this building (I love everything about this building: it was built in 1895 and it was a bible factory!).

When I moved from a much bigger apartment with a much bigger balcony on the 3rd floor to my cute little studio on the 4th, one of the first things I fell in love with was my cute little balcony. My two Adirondack chairs (which are filthy after having been covered in snow) fit so much better and look so much cuter on this balcony. The balcony is also decorated with Tibetan prayer flags, a wooden OM wall hanging that I bought at a yoga studio where I taught years ago, and a really cool candle holder known as a "circle of friends" that I got to keep in my divorce. (I accidentally knocked it off a table once in my condo on South Beach and it broke into a lot of pieces--I glued it back together.)

As I admire my balcony now that all the snow has melted, I'm also acutely aware of the fact that it is desperately in need of a paint job. They need to scrape the floor and ceiling, as well as the ledge, and repaint it. Maybe I'll request that in the spring.

Beyond the balcony, I can't see a lot because I'm certainly not going outside right now, but I can see the roofs of a couple buildings, the traffic on Broad Street, and the Suzanne Roberts Theatre. But in my mind, I'm thinking about how it's so easy to see the Mummers (from up in my balcony is always preferable to near them) and the Broad Street Run.

And that's what I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment