Saturday, January 30, 2016

365 Days of Writing Prompts #30

Your home is on fire. Grab five items (assume all people and animals are safe). What did you grab?

1. Mementos Box. This is where I keep old photo albums (pre-internet life!), letters, journals, my grandmother's recipes all in her handwriting. All in one convenient box because I've thought about this question.

2. External Hard Drive with all my everything backed up on it. I'm backing it up again right now while I'm thinking about this. It's a good practice to do this often.

3. Vintage Dress Collection. I can't decide on one dress, so I'm copping out and saving all of them. I have worked so hard to build this collection and getting them altered and I take such good care of them and they've been preserved for so many years--most of them are older than me--the thought of them coming to a fiery fate is too horrible for me to consider.

4. Vintage Cork Lamp. Not just because it's vintage, but because it was my grandmother's. And because I've had it literally my entire life.

5. Tom Robbins Collection. Every book he's ever written. Especially my signed copy of Still Life with Woodpecker. I waited too many years to meet him and get that book signed. It's so important to me.

This one has me curious. What would you save? Share in the comments. :)

5 comments:

  1. I imagine this question a lot and I really only think of my human and furry family.

    But...if time stopped, and I had to grab 5 things:
    *1. The quilt that my mom's grandmother made for my dad when he was a kid (their families were friends). I used that quilt all through college and just recently had it restored. I'm the only person allowed to use it.
    *2. Tubby The stuffed dog my best friend from 3rd grade gave me for my birthday. I slept with him forever, like even into adulthood (on really shitty days) until my dogs started sleeping with me. Pieces of him have been sewed back together many times. He now lives on my closet shelf where I see him several times a day
    *3 My phone! Omg. My phone!
    I'm blanking out right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put my phone on the list bc it's always on me anyway like its a given.

      Delete
  2. *4 A (reusable) water bottle. I ALWAYS have a water bottle with me. I think it's a little bit of a minor neurosis of mine. I'm so afraid of being dehydrated. It's true.

    I'm sure I will see #5 once I get out of bed tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lololol!

      Oh and I love that quilt forever!

      Delete
    2. I knew you'd appreciate the water bottle comment.

      Delete